Packing the wrong clothes for a long-anticipated vacation to Ketchikan is one of the easiest ways to ruin your trip. But don’t worry—we’re here to help! Located within North America’s largest rainforest, Ketchikan receives somewhere between 140 to 160 inches of rainfall per year.
During the Summer, the area has an average daily high of 59°F. With cool and rainy weather all year long, it’s important to consider your clothing options and come prepared. Check out the list below to see our packing essentials.
Our Packing List
1. A lightweight waterproof jacket is always good to have and will provide versatility for your wardrobe. On really cold days, you can layer this item underneath a larger jacket. It can also be worn alone on warmer days.
2. Closed toe, quick drying shoes are great to have when visiting the area. Whether you’re hiking through the lush forest or going on a little adventure, it’s always nice to have shoes that keep your feet comfortable and protected.
3. A hooded, all-weather jacket is a necessity when traveling to Ketchikan, especially considering the area is located within a rainforest and can be stormy during the Summer months. It’s always better to be over prepared when out in the wilderness!
4. With so much wildlife to sea (ha! Get it?), you’re going to need a lot more than just your eyes. Investing in a good pair of binoculars will allow you to see the many bald eagles, bears, and mountain goats that call Ketchikan home.
5. Even in cold Alaska, it’s important to not underestimate the power of the sun and bring plenty of sunscreen during the summer months.
6. Backpacks are always nice to have on hand and can help you carry personal items and things like sunscreen and layers that you might want to peel off when it gets warm. Fill any extra room with snacks and candy for an added bonus.
7. If you plan to be out on the waterway, sunglasses are a must-have as the sun’s reflection on the water can be almost blinding. Just make sure they don’t fly off when the boat is accelerating!
With so many enjoyable things to do during your stay at Salmon Falls Resort, it’s paramount that you are comfortable and supplied with the right equipment. From Alaskan sport fishing, kayaking, self-guided tours and hiking, to Alaskan wildlife viewing and so much more, you’re sure to make memories that will last a lifetime.
Sign Up For Special Offers